For today’s daily 5, we’re covering the horrific mass shooting that happened last night in Las Vegas.
Here are five things you’ll want to know today:
- Mass Shooting: Last night, at a country music concert in Las Vegas at the Mandalay Bay Resort, a gunman opened fire on the concert-goers. The gunman was carrying a machine gun. The gunman then killed himself in his hotel room before the SWAT team entered. In his hotel room, they found ten rifles.
- Worst Mass Shooting in American History: Right now, 58 people have been pronounced dead and more than 515 injured, many of which are in critical condition. A motive for the violence has not yet been identified. The gunman has been identified as 64-year-old Stephen Paddock, his family is being questioned.
- Helping Out: As victims of the violence are flooding Las Vegas hospitals, officials and authorities are asking local residents to please donate blood. Donating blood can save the lives of victims who are bleeding as a result of the gunshots. Since this morning, there have been lines of volunteer donors forming outside of the hospital. It’s always great to see people rallying together in support during such a sad time.
- President Trump: Donald Trump addressed the mass shooting in a press conference this morning. He ended his speech with “God bless America!” and did not take any questions from reporters. You can watch his speech here.
- How to Help: Even if you’re not in the Las Vegas area, you can help victims by rallying for better gun control, donating blood in your own area, and calling your local representatives. What happened in Las Vegas could happen anywhere in America and the long-term solution is a policy change. Learn more about how to help here.
And, don’t forget your personal daily 5 checklist. It’s extra important to take care of your own mental health during times of crises:
- Write down 3 things you’re: grateful for/accomplishing today.
- Drink 8 glasses of water for optimal energy, glowing skin, and easy digestion.
- Practice one mindfulness exercise. Here are six options. Choose what feels good!
- Do something kind for someone else- even a compliment counts! Here’s a list for inspiration.
- Stay woke by keeping up with the news. Our favorite news sources:
- Social Media: